1.08.2005

Occupational Picks - Engineer

I'm a dumbass.
I admit that. When I was in high school, half of us had no clue what we wanted to be when we grew up. Some of the others actually had inkling, while the rest didn't care.

Me? No clue whatsoever. I figured I liked some math, loved building stuff (LEGO had a lot of influence), so...engineering seemed the route to go. That and this girl I liked was going to go to a certain school, so I figured I'd go there...and they were known for good engineering. That was fucked since she ended up changing her mind to go to another school known for education degrees.

Anyway, I made due with my engineering school life. Long story short, I didn't know if engineering was going to be for me. So after graduation, I went back to school for computers since it was the industry to be in at the time. 1 semester to go, i'd emailed a friend (long story), and she sent me to a job fair. Of the 10 she mentioend this to, i was the only one that attended,...and eventually got a job.

The last 4+ years at Lockheed Martin have been filled with more ups than downs. Yeah, the projects once in a while got stressful, and there were some difficult people to work with, but those experiences were wonderful in the long run cuz they helped me get to where I am today.
As it is, it sucks being a contractor cuz the contract can either go away just like that, or it doesn't get renewed. But project engineering has been a blessing as far as careers go. Wouldn't have it any other way...except for a frickin permanent position.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

At least you're doing something that interested you when you were a kid. Me? My job is soooo far from what I really want to do, it's sickening.

Thanks Bum...you just gave me some ideas for my very own blog. As of late, I'm having a dry spell...I just can't come up with anything to say. Very, very frustrating.....

5:39 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

P.S. Oh yeah, you are soooo NOT a dumbass.

:)

5:40 AM  
Blogger Bum said...

I've been in a dry spell too that i ended up posting about work...but it's sorta related cuz right now, i have no idea what's going on at work. :)

Well, i'm lookin forward to reading your new entries

8:18 PM  
Blogger Bum said...

PPS, I so am a dumbass.
I picked the school, and THEN the major... just because of a girl who is somewhere else now. :)

eh, it all turned ok, i guess

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home