4.29.2006

i remember her smile

today, as i drove to work, i checked my voicemail since i had missed one of Mom's calls, and i got the voicemail message shortly afterwards. When I checked it, I was expecting her to mention something like, on the way home, to buy something, or some other thing.

i didn't expect to hear that one of our family friends had passed away overnight.
i remember Tita Lumen ever since I was 5 or 6. She'd always have a smile. I never really said much to her husband, but I knew the kids well. Sabrina was always there talking to Patrick, and her younger brother Shawn was... well, always around too. And Tita Lumen always had this smile on her face. That is how I remember her. now. tonight. In a few hours will be her service.

I don't even remember that the last time i saw her, she wore a headcover for her chemo treatments. No. I remember her smile. I remember at the church dances, grabbing her hand and asking her to dance with me. I remember helping her serve food at Galveston during some of the Santo Nino with the other ladies. I remember her smile.

Rest in peace, Tita Lumen.
You and your smile shone like a bright light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home