4.03.2005

Pope John Paul II

Posted by Hello

Pope Ioannes Paulus II
18 May, 1920 - 2 April 2005

What more can you say about Karol Josef Wojtyla that they haven't covered on the news? This man who was born in Poland, suffered some tragedies in early childhood, and would later enter priesthood. That path would lead him to become the Holy See, adopting the name John Paul II.

He became the 264th pope on October 16, 1978, replacing John Paul I. It would be six days later that he was installed as pope in St. Peter's Square, October 22, 1978. I turned two yrs old that day. I was raised Catholic, having gone to Catholic school until the 6th grade where I went to public school. But ever since I was 6 years old, I was an altar server. I've served for two bishops, a few auxiliary bishops, several monsignors, and numerous priests. I've also trained many altar servers, taught Sunday school, and sang in the choir every now and again. I felt a certain closeness to the Pope, especially after 1999 when we went to Fatima and Lourdes. At Fatima, they let me serve for the three priests along with the group where they usually just allowed priests to walk. I can't explain that feeling because it felt like you were walking on air, like ...no effort in moving. And I thought to myself, in my faith, the Virgin Mary was just right there many years ago, and also, Pope John Paul II knelt there too.

He could be seen as a father figure. I saw him as a sort of grandfather who could never do any harm to anyone. He just had that aura about him. I sometimes disagreed with some doctrine, but that's the fine line that splits faith from religion, and he being the head of the religion. But still, being far away, I would watch on tv as he travelled to the may countries he touched. And more recently, as we all have seen him in his frail years, it's as if he was stooping because he himself was carrying his own invisible cross.

I stayed up this weekend, watching the tv. Just had it fixated on the news, waiting for word on his condition. He's one of those folks where I just think they would always be there. So when they said that he had finally passed away, it took a little bit before the full impact that he wasn't here anymore physically hit.

Last Sunday, March 27, Mom and Grandma arrived in Rome, and at St. Peter's square just in time as he was blessing everyone. Though he looked like this tiny face, they could see him. Mom said that he looked pretty good, although we all knew he was sick. That would pretty much be the last blessing this Pope gave.

Hearing the bells toll for him just reminds me that he's no longer here, so I turn the tv off. But even though it saddens me, as well as millions of other people, we know he's in a better place now, and not suffering. It's only in that belief that brings some joy. I will miss him.

Pater noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum.
Adveniat regnum tuum.
Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra.
Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie,
et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.
Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo.
Amen.

Ave Maria, gratia plena.
Dominum tecum.
Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Jesu.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei,
ora pro nobis pecatoribus,
nunc et in hora mortis nostrae.
Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home