3.26.2005

Land Down Under and other stuff

In this moment of time, I was clearing some email, and I usually file away good ones, funny ones, useful ones, etc, and get rid of the junk mail.

I got to one of HeroinGirl's emails from earlier this month, read, and smirked. And then the warning at the bottom... if you didn't reply, she'd then get out her voodoo doll and make you all swollen and itchy, etc etc.
I had to laugh, and so I replied to the email (took my ass long enough... I'm usually good about replying), and with it, remembered my experiences with Australians and Australia.

I've never been to the Land Down Under.
Sure, I grew up listening to the song by Men At Work, but at that time, that was about it.
Oh, and I watched the Mad Max movies and *heart* Nicole Kidman.
The last couple of years though, the rare but wonderful experiences where Australia and her beautiful people have been...well.... wonderful.

2003-ish, I think.
You know, I can't for the life of me remember, but I think it was 2002/2003 where I worked on a project where I had to contact some folks in Australia. I was given some names of points of contacts. During that interchange of information, my one POC had started giving me another POC. Which was cool. I now had three points of contact. The one who seemed to respond the quickest at first was pretty cool. But here's the funny part. He never used 'signatures', or whatever, so hell if I knew, he was another technical reference over there. Yeah, the one time he finally did use a signature, i was like... well...heh heh... this was the company's president all along. The webpage didn't list him down either, but yeah, he sure was. That Christmas, he sent me a Christmas card... business practice, I reckon, but it was personalized and said if ever I was in Australia and was available, to come over and visit the company. Way cool.

2004
I got an autographed picture from Jennifer Hawkins back in August 2004. She also replied to an email I had sent. In case some of y'all didn't know, she's Miss Universe 2004.

I started blogging in the middle/late part of the year,... and for the life of me, can't recall how. It was either I was sent to one by a friend and read up on how to get one, or...well, I just stopped using livejournal. And this one, it seemed was easier to maintain. Through this experience, I stumbled to HeroinGirl's website. She's got a great number of her thoughts and experiences there, and it's just..well, I guess the purpose of blogging is to share your thoughts and experiences with people who would have time to read up on it. Sometimes, it's even therapeutic cuz it's sometimes easier to type it out than to actually say it out loud. What I've read there have been thought-provoking and you just... read more. Anyway, this darlin is also from Australia, and she's wonderful.

The most recent experience... yes, Australians are beautiful. Especially, and most specifically, their women. Yet another Australian won me over (some say it's not that hard to do, but...) during birthday vacation last year, this woman came up to me and said, "'Ey you, You're Bum right? You were wonderful up there and made us all laugh. You practically stole the show." And the words I got out were, "Thanks. What's your name?"
And her name's Evie. So Evie and I chatted up a bit that night and pretty much, ...well...ok... the ship had about 2000 passengers, not to mention the crew of 500-800. Enough for a tiny town in Texas. And yet, that ship becomes a small world cuz I'd always run into the same people, to the point where they began to ask, "Do you work for Royal Caribbean? Are you part of the director's staff? Do you have a twin?"

Hey, Pink Tiger, Big Ern, Pepe, and Bad Megan told me to have a wonderful trip, and so I had fun. Anyway, Evie and I would chat once a night at the ship's dance club thingie, dance, have drinks, etc. That and play volleyball or whatever else the ship was doing at sea.

Ah. Australia and their beautiful people. Simply wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home