3.26.2005

What Do You Do? What Do You Do?

In a matter of weeks, maybe even days, some of us at work will take on more responsibilities.
Yep, basically changing of the guard. Those before us who (tor)mentored us have gone on to be higher level managers, switched to other companies, or just... well, moved on to other stuff.

The responsibility of being in a lead role is to delegate. No, I don't like to micromanage because Lord knows, I hate it when I get told how to do my job. What to do, no problem. How to do it... dude... I got it.

Hence, "what do I do? what do I do?" (a phrase we've associated with Pepe)
Which also coincides with another Pepe phrase: "What did I did? What did I did?"

I've worked with a philosophy that those I work with are not robots. They're not heartless people who have to show up at the same place I have to 5 or so days a week and do things to earn a living for addictions or whatever, be it starbucks, ebay, cars, whatever. They're human.
And we all make mistakes. Only sometimes, some folks get more red ink than others.

The current joke or rather, point of smirking is that I can do a pretty good job when given a task. "Get 'er done". Hey, that should be a new work motto. And everyone can adopt a NASCAR driver's number, and we can have those cool neat rear window decals that have the number and it'll say at the bottom, "Get 'er done!" JUST KIDDING!

"You know what'd be funny? An office of four people, Bum's the lead... Ask them what they're working on, and they'll say 'nothing', but then you look, and he's out and about zipping around doing it all'". Argh. This will be the fun part of work. When to learn how to push the right buttons and get them to do what needs to be done. It's the same thing we already do now, but it'll just be within the same group. So far, I'm hopeful and optimistic. I get a new hire that I can train with my mentality (and also what NOT to do), as well as one who's already there and willing to learn.

It'll be a fun new task and responsibility... but the Lord's gonna start saying "ENOUGH ALREADY" when I keep saying the serenity prayer. ;)

What do you do? What do you do? ... Get 'er done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home