2.02.2006

Acque Pericolose

1981.
Jean-Michel Basquiat (1960-1988)
Acrylic, oil paintstick, and spray paint on canvas

Tonight was fun at the Museum of Fine Arts. I could have literally stayed there longer just taking in the exhibits. Before stopping there, we had to stop by the Menil Collection a bit of a drive away. Not too far though. They had some really cool exhibits there too... some were as old as 15000 BC.

I didn't expect to like Basquiat from how he was described, but seeing it in person was just...different. I guess that can be said of other things...when they're in person. There's raw emotion and interpretation there. The one that I liked, which the cute classmate pointed out was title Acque Pericolose. When I saw it, I figured it to have some religious meanings in it. The description beside the painting pointed out some imagery, but its interpretation of what the image displayed, had a little or near nothing what I had seen. I pointed it out to the instructor, and he too didn't notice it til i pointed it out.

Eh,. that or i'm just on drugs and didn't know it. I don't know. But I really liked going there. I need to go again cuz there's just so much to see, and with this being a class trip, we had to focus on our assignment first. BumPod came along and kept me company as I looked at the artwork. Of course, with some of the art, the music had to match, so, BumPod did not disappoint. Next class period, we're supposed to discuss the chapters we had to read, but also give a little report...non-formal or anything, on a piece from both the Menil collection and one from Basquiat. That'll be a totally cool class.

Oh, and sadly, the cool cute chic in class is married. Ha ha ha. Fuck you, Fates. :) but, she remembers my name and says hey to me. there were some cute folks at the museum.

finally, i liked the tunnel. it's where you walk in, and they curved the edges of the room, and then had something akin to a neon-like glow... purplish blue in nature, and it looks like infinity as you walk on the black pathway, with the glow on either side, and all the way to the ceiling. at times, it did feel like being in space and just falling into nothingness...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

basquiat is nice...you should try going again next weekend at night when they have grand master flash dj'ing! as for the menil, that is my FAVORITE museum in houston...not only is it free, but it's got awesome surreal art...magrittes galore!

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home